Maritime and Marine Related Services offered by LOCHNER LAW FIRM, P.C.,
1. Maritime Collision and Allision. Vessel and property casualty in the maritime
sphere can be subject to highly specialized customs, rules and regulations. We provide
representation that uses the inherent complexity of maritime issues to work toward our
clients' preferred results.
2. Maritime Personal Injury. We will bring or defend claims involving serious
personal injury, including wrongful death and permanent impairment, including those
that fall under the auspices of the Jones Act, Longshoremen and Harbor Workers Compensation
Act and the Death on the High Seas Act. In defense cases, we will litigate limitations
of liability actions in federal court.
3. Insurance Coverage and Subrogation. For claims which are paid by our clients,
we will pursue other individuals and entities that may also bear financial responsibility.
4. Towing and Salvage: Salvage versus towage and the responsibility for damage are
recurrent issues when vessels are subjected to a marine peril. When a dispute arises, it
may ultimately involve regulatory agencies, owners and operators, insurers as well as the
tower or salvor. We will litigate, arbitrate or work through mediation on our clients' behalf.
5. Contract Disputes. We will litigate contract issues including those arising from
consumer sales, supplier sales, employer/employee relationships, and significant transactions.
6. Maritime Lien Claims. In maritime law, liens provide highly specialized rights to
obtain non-owner property rights in vessels, their cargo and their profits. We will prosecute
or defend maritime lien claims.
7. Regulatory proceedings. We will represent our clients in civil and administrative
proceedings before state or federal regulatory agencies including the United States Coast
Guard and the United States Department of Transportation, Maritime Administration.
PREVENTATIVE AND PROACTIVE SERVICES
1. General Counsel. We provide general business representation for vessel owners and
marine businesses, including corporate, regulatory, contract and commercial matters.
2. Preventative Reviews. In legal matters, prevention can be exponentially cheaper
than the cure offered by litigation. We will review supplier and consumer contracts,
premises and other potential risks to help identify serious, preventable risks.
3. Corporate Organization. If a business is not properly formed and registered with
the State, there are potentially serious, unexpected consequences. We offer flat rates to
form simple corporations and partnerships. For more complex matters, we will draft original
contracts and entity documents to meet our clients' specialized needs.
4. Effective Contract Drafting and Design. Most businesses have certain types of contracts
that they frequently reuse. We will review and revise these documents to be certain that, if
challenged, their meaning is that which is intended, and to make sure that our clients' liability
is appropriately limited.
5. Purchase/Sale Representation. In any transaction involving a significant amount of money,
there is the potential for broken promises, misunderstandings, misrepresentations and significant
losses. For significant transactions, we will review applicable documents to be sure that our
clients' interests are protected and provide assistance or representation in negotiations as needed.
6. Marine Financing. We will assist our clients in obtaining Title XI financing for new
construction or the institution of a capital improvement fund for existing vessels.
7. Charter agreements. In extraordinary chartering circumstances, we will draft individual
and fleet charter agreements to ensure that the needs and goals of our clients are met.